About us

Labels

They Inspired Me - Papercraft

Come and say something here...


Free chat widget @ ShoutMix

Read A Book A Month Challenge

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Assalamualaikum and hi to everyone. I've been so busy lately and just got some free time to visit my friends' blog. And when I visit MariBaca Bookstore, I came across with this interesting activity.

This challenge started by KittyCat from Right Reads For Kids. I think that I'm going to join this activity because it's good for me and my kids. I really hope that I can fulfill the challenge... Insya Allah. If you would like to know about this activity, here's what KittyCat wrote in her blog...

For 2009, I would like to call on ALL readers (*especially Malaysian students, Mums and Dads!!!) to join me in this reading challenge.

HOW TO JOIN?
1. Just make a list of 12 books you will read with your child in 2009. Join in anytime and don’t worry if you haven’t got your list yet!
2. Start off with 1-2 books you have at home…(textbooks NOT allowed!)
3. If you have a blog, add a comment here with a link to your blog.
4. If you don’t have a blog, add a comment here with your list of books. You’re welcome to check in regularly to keep each other on track!
5. If you’d like to add the button on your blog, here’s the image location.
”http://www.flickr.com/photos/kittycat2006/3169571149/”
WHY YOU SHOULD JOIN
For your child…
1. You’ll spend some quality time with your child. And your child will treasure the memory of having you ALL to himself/herself for that time.
2. Your child will have read at least ONE book in a month = 12 books in a year.
3. It’s a great way to drag your child away from the PSP, Gameboy, Wii, TV or Internet!
4. Open your child’s mind with a new experience and (hopefully) a new hobby and love for lifelong learning…
For you…
You will have the satisfaction of knowing that you actually READ 12 books in a year!

Let’s work together to encourage reading among our children, shall we? I hope you’ll join me in this challenge. Let’s change the statistics from TWO to TWELVE!!!

*NOTE: I’m encouraging Malaysians because statistics (1996-2005) show that:
a) In 1996, Malaysian children read only TWO books a year. In 2005, Malaysian children STILL read only an average of TWO books a year.
b) Books make up only 3% of the chosen reading material compared to newspapers, which make up 77.4%!
c) Malaysia has not reached a 100% literacy rate yet.
d) 60% respond that other interests are taking up reading time…

I'll update the booklist later since I'm now at my mom's house. Come and join me.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Salam Sha. I'm happy to know that you're joining the challenge too.

Let's read together.

Sha said...

salam kakchik... i'm happy too and i hope that i'll be able to fulfill the challenge. yeah, let's read together.

Recent News

Powered by Blogger.
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers